Thatched Property Home Insurance
If you are lucky enough to live in a thatched home then you know arranging insurance isn’t as easy as it is for ‘standard’ construction home.
The main reason is the roofs can be very expensive to repair and there is the potential for increased fire risk.
We can help you find the right insurer to protect your home, your valuables and your
Here’s a quick list of examples we can arrange an insurance quote for: –
- Thatched home/house
- Thatched cottage
- Thatched Airbnb
- Thatched holiday lets
We can also offer contents only cover to tenants residing in a thatched home or those of you with a partially thatched roof.
What information will I need to provide to obtain a quote for a thatched property?
- The type of roofing material used e.g. combed wheat reed, longstraw, water reed or one of the lesser used materials such as heather, rye straw, sedge, turf and veldt grass;
- The material for the walls of your home e.g. brick, stone or cobb;
- The depth of the thatch on your roof e.g. 10 inches;
- What fire protection and security you have installed e.g. smoke detectors or chimney heat alarms;
- If you have a chimney, what is the chimney used for e.g. an open fire or for aesthetics;
- When your thatched roof was last inspected?
- Let us know if you have had an Electrical Inspection carried out, and if so the date it was completed and confirmation that any recommendations have been carried out
You will also need to let us know the rebuild value (also known as the buildings sum insured) of your property/home if you want a thatched cottage insurance policy. If you have had a mortgage survey carried out, this will provide you with a rebuild figure, although it may need to be index-linked. You can also get an estimate of the rebuild figure by using the Association of British Insurers (ABI) rebuild calculator.
What else can you tell me about thatched home insurance?
There’s usually a different set of exclusions for a thatched policy, and you’ll be required to have fire precautions and keep the roof well maintained.
Because of the wide range of insurers we have relationships with, we can accommodate thatched homeowners with additional specialist needs too, such as cover for Airbnb rentals, holiday lets, unusual occupations or adverse insurance histories.
For more information on thatched properties, the Thatch Advice Centre seems like a good place to start.
Want a quote tailored for you?
Can we help you?
If the above insurances, schemes, product or article interests you, please mention this when contacting us. That way we can select the insurer/product mentioned, as we have a range of insurers that offer different benefits, for example not all of our insurers may cover the key elements mentioned above.
If you would like us to provide a quotation please complete one of the following:
- Complete the form on the Homepage
- Fill in the form on our contact us page
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 01637 876 876
We do everything we possibly can to check that we have got our facts straight, but it’s always possible that we could make a mistake (hopefully not or never would be better). Therefore we would like to make you aware that we accept no responsibility for information that may be factually incorrect or out of date, but we will do our best to make sure that all content is accurate. Our vision behind bringing the blog to the wider community is to keep our clients and prospective clients informed of their legal requirements, the different products on offer and how they may benefit your business and the new schemes we find which we think will benefit you.
We are Personal and Commercial Insurance Brokers based in Newquay, Cornwall covering the whole of the UK.