Burst and frozen water pipes can cause untold damage to your home so here are some tips to prevent it during freezing conditions this winter.
How to prevent frozen pipes
- Ensure water pipes and water tanks are insulated correctly as these exposed pipes are more likely to freeze. Also, consider opening your loft hatch as allowing warm air to reach the loft can reduce the risk of the water tank freezing.
- In very cold weather the heating will need to be on low, or set to come on a couple of times a day, especially if you’re going away.
- If you’re away for a while, then ask a friend or relative to check on your home and make sure pipes haven’t burst or frozen.
- Make sure you know where your stop cock is, and check that it works. This can usually be found under the kitchen sink. If you cannot locate then contact a local plumber for advice.
Advice on what to do if you find your pipes are frozen
- Turn the water off at the main stop cock
- Attempt to thaw frozen pipes with a hot water bottle or hairdryer where possible, beginning from the tap end and working back toward the cold water tank. Never use a heat gun or blow torch.
- Open the tap nearest to the part of the pipe you think is frozen so the water can flow through when it has melted.
- Switch off your central heating or any other water heating installations. Ensure that professional repair has been carried out before switching back on.
How can we help you?
If you would like us to provide a quotation please complete one of the following:
- Complete the form on the Homepage65
- Fill in the form on our contact us page
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 01637 876 876
We do everything we possibly can to check that we have got our facts straight, but it’s always possible that we could make a mistake (hopefully not or never would be better). Therefore we would like to make you aware that we accept no responsibility for information that may be factually incorrect or out of date, but we will do our best to make sure that all content is accurate. Our vision behind bringing the blog to the wider community is to keep our clients and prospective clients informed of their legal requirements, the different products on offer and how they may benefit your business and the new schemes we find which we think will benefit you.
We are Personal and Commercial Insurance Brokers based in Newquay, Cornwall covering the whole of the UK.
Search The Blog
- Reopening as Lockdown Measures Ease April 20, 2021
- IR35 changes take effect from 1 April 2020 January 25, 2021
- New UK immigration laws in force from 1 January 2021 January 25, 2021
- Prepare your business for Brexit December 17, 2020
- No-Deal Brexit and Driving in Europe December 6, 2020