With the bad weather affecting large parts of the UK over the past few weeks and with more storms yet to come we have detailed some guidance points below to help minimise the damage flooding can cause:
- Move all equipment off the lower floors.
- Make use of any sandbags, there are also barriers that can be fixed into the door ways to stop water from getting in. If your customer needs advice on how these can be obtained, they can call the Environment Agency. Failing that, a contractor can fix supports to the door ways which can stop or slow down the water.
- Seal the soil drainage to stop any water from getting into the buildings drainage system, thus preventing contaminated water from entering the building.
- Turn off all the electrics to the floors that are likely to be affected.
- If there is a lower area such as a basement, try and route the water flow into these areas and pump out. For example, if any man hole covers can be opened which would send the water to the basement area, it is better to flood a basement and actively man a pump to pump it all out rather than having the water travel through the ground floor of the building.
- Take up carpets and remove anything that can be moved to higher floors.
- Call drying companies and put them on standby in order to get them to set up large industrial dehumidifiers to start the drying process ASAP after the flood. This will prevent any water from penetrating into the foundations of the building, causing further problems.
Can we help you?
If you would like us to provide a quotation for your insurance please complete one of the following:
- Complete the form on the Homepage
- Fill in the form on our contact us page
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 01637 876 876
We do everything we possibly can to check that we have got our facts straight, but it’s always possible that we could make a mistake (hopefully not or never would be better). Therefore we would like to make you aware that we accept no responsibility for information that may be factually incorrect or out of date, but we will do our best to make sure that all content is accurate. Our vision behind bringing the blog to the wider community is to keep our clients and prospective clients informed of their legal requirements, the different products on offer and how they may benefit your business and the new schemes we find which we think will benefit you.
We are Personal and Commercial Insurance Brokers based in Newquay, Cornwall covering the whole of the UK.
Search The Blog
- Reopening as Lockdown Measures Ease April 20, 2021
- IR35 changes take effect from 1 April 2020 January 25, 2021
- New UK immigration laws in force from 1 January 2021 January 25, 2021
- Prepare your business for Brexit December 17, 2020
- No-Deal Brexit and Driving in Europe December 6, 2020