Rather than watch an organised fireworks display tonight you may be having a private get together with family or friends. You may be a member of a private road association and be having a street party for the residents.
If so make sure you stay safe and follow our tips below:
- Only buy fireworks that comply with British Standard 7114 or its European equivalent and the instructions should be in English.
- Don’t drink alcohol if you’re lighting fireworks.
- Follow the instructions on each firework and be sure they’re suitable for home use.
- Light fireworks at arm’s length using a taper and stand well back.
- Never go near a firework that has been lit. If it hasn’t yet gone off, it could still explode.
- Never throw fireworks or put them in your pocket.
- Always supervise children around fireworks.
- Keep pets indoors.